Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Two new gluten free finds!

I have found two new gluten free foods that I am in love with. It is exciting and scary all at the same time when this happens. Exciting because I feel like I am normal and can actually go to a store and buy something that doesn't make feel "left out" and have it taste amazing. Scary because when it tastes as amazing as these two things I know I will eat more at each sitting than I should, but I love food so I over indulge at times!

My first find is gluten free tortillas. They are made by French Meadow Bakery and I found them at Safeway in the frozen section on an end cap. They aren't huge that is for sure and they aren't cheap but they are SO worth it. They are about the same size as a corn tortilla. My suggestion is to take out as many as you will need for the one meal you are cooking and let them thaw at room temperature. Then put a little (and I mean little) oil or butter or whatever you prefer in a pan on medium heat and lightly brown each side. As they heat up you will be able to tell that they are becoming more soft and pliable. Be careful though, they break easy. I haven't had anything in my last two years of being gluten free that tastes this good and maybe even better than the original it is replacing. The cost is $5.99/ package but Safeway has them on sale sometimes and I believe I have found coupons for them before.

Find #2 is from the brand Enjoy Life. They make soft baked cookies that are sold in a box at most super markets. I have had the snicker doodle one before and it was good, not anything to write home about but if you are in the mood for snicker doodles they will fill your craving. BUT I was at the Mt. Vernon food co-op the other day and I found a new flavor I had never seen before, "Lively Lemon"...I LOVE lemon...I love these cookies! Soft, really lemony, and they have these little yellow bits of lemon in them that I am sure are sugar coated but make the cookie pop. I think the box cost $3.99 and comes with 12 small (maybe 1.5 inch) cookies in them. I have eaten over half of the box since yesterday and they only reason I had any self control is because I have had to share with my 7 year old who is gluten free also. I am glad I haven't found them anywhere closer as of yet because I know I would eat too many. But I can guarantee that every time I am in Mt. Vernon I will be stopping at the food co-op to get some!

Speaking of the food co-op if you ever get a chance to get up there it is a neat place. They have an in house bakery, deli etc that you can buy lunch at and plenty of seating. In the bakery they had a chocolate hazelnut torte that was $2.25/slice and was very moist and tasty. My daughter even liked it and she is the most snobby gluten free person I know. So there ya go, two new things to try!

1 comment:

  1. I just made these: http://bridgetjohns.blogspot.com/2011/04/little-crumbly.html

    Maybe you'd like them. You can get teff flour at the Co-op in Everett. It's $3.89 per one pound bag...so pricey. But if you like it then you can buy direct from the company for a lot cheaper. I think 25 pounds was about $60.

    ReplyDelete