Sunday, November 4, 2012

The fire in my belly...where all the "healthy" started

Since becoming sick for 7 months straight 2 weeks after my youngest daughter was born a little over 3 years ago, I have paid MUCH more attention to medicine. When she was 2 weeks old I got a sinus infection, no biggy you go to the doctor and get an antibiotic and presto-chango you are all better. Not so much. 7 months and 4 rounds of antibiotics that didn't help me one fraction of a bit left me to wonder this, "Back in the day when they had their babies in fields what did they use to help these kinds of "routine" illnesses? I mean I have never heard of someone suffering with a sinus infection for 50 years!" But I didn't know what to even start looking at or where to go. After they told me that my sinuses weren't formed right and the only way to fix my infection was to stop nursing my last baby way too early and have surgery, I decided modern medicine wasn't doing it for me anymore. I wasn't going to have surgery at all. My friend urged me to go to the naturopath. She suggested food was making me sick. I thought she was off her rocker. As a way to prove her wrong I went to the naturopath. The nice lady told me that I should lay off of dairy and gluten for two weeks and she would take my blood and see what it said. In two weeks I could eat either dairy or gluten and see how my body reacted. I too thought this woman was crazy but to prove her wrong I was going to do this for two weeks.

Fast forward 2 weeks, no antibiotics, no dairy, no gluten, mysteriously no more sinus infection. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I thought antibiotics were the only thing that would take it away! That started my food/health/chemical revolution. Since July 2009 when this all started we eat very different and practice healing very different. I now no longer run to the doctor for every little thing. In the last 9 months we are totally chemical free of any over the counter medication. We haven't have an antibiotic in 3 years and I love it.

It all started with the no dairy and gluten for me and my sinuses, then next was the no artificial food dye for my kids (it made one of them have bi-polar type fits) which has escalated into no high fructose corn syrup or any petroleum based products. I now cook almost everything from scratch and we eat as much raw as possible. We eat barely any breads and a lot fewer potatoes and rice, more squash (which is easy because we grow it on our farm) just healthy in general.

Chemicals are out and natural is in. No antibiotics, no vaccines, only real food, a lot less sugar, better portions, more self control, more knowledge. It feels good and it is empowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment