Sunday, May 6, 2012

The fire in my belly...Our God given Mother's Intuition, a blessing and a curse!

I grew up a shy kid who wouldn't ask for my money if someone overcharged me. I had no confidence in my ability to stick up for myself. That little me in a little town called Snohomish would never have believed you if you would have told me that would grow up and be a fighter. Not a boxing fighter but a fighter for what is right. I would have never believed that I would have stood up to anyone let alone doctors, school administrators and eventually all that I have known to be normal. I also would have never believe that when I discovered something that I believed in to be right and helpful that I wouldn't be able to contain myself and share with everyone! Since becoming a mom at the young age of 19 and having a sick baby who had to have open heart surgery when I was a 21 year old single mom I have gotten a fire in my belly. At first it came slow and that "pit" in your gut when you know something isn't right or when that pit tells you "act now", well those were few and far between. Lately though they seem to be coming fast and furious! Sometimes I wish I could live in denial and ignore that pit in my stomach, it would be so much easier in the moment. It would save me tons of thinking, research, late nights, deep thoughts and so much more. But in the long run it is life changing and beneficial for my whole family. I feel as if God has me on a revolution. One that will change my life and my families life for the better. I can tell already it won't be an easy road but one that is necessary. I am excited for it because any road God has me on is exhilarating and exciting. Anything worth doing however isn't easy but WELL worth it! So although I know some paths that He has me traveling down I know there are more to come that right now my mind probably can't contain. I feel like my brain is already ready to pop with all of the knowledge and research I am gaining. I am also surprised about how much you have to listen to that gut feeling even if you don't fully understand it yet. I don't like research yet I can't get enough of it right now, go figure! I need to get my thoughts out so this blog is my way to do it. I am starting a "series" here inspired by my friend Bridget who is a much better, more consistent blogger than I! In this series I will hopefully be more consistent than i have been in the past, but I am going to share the fires in my belly that I couldn't ignore and why my passion continues in each area. They will be in no particular order and definitely random but what else would you expect from me? The first time I ever felt that fire in my belly as a mom is when Kylie had her open heart surgery. I never understood or did well in school. I made it through high school by the skin of my teeth and don't have fond memories of those four years. I got pregnant at 18 and never went to college hence I have always felt insecure around the more educated. I have felt like they know more than me and therefore I shouldn't question what they say or do and just go with it. Laughable I know, but those insecurities were so real back in the day. I always felt like the educated looked down on me too, like they all could tell by looking at me that I didn't go to college. Then my child gets sick and suddenly out of nowhere this momma bear comes out in me and I didn't even know what hit me until it was done. I was questioning everything the doctors told me, researching and getting second opinions left and right. I remember when her surgery was over and it was time for the nurses to have shift change, parents had to leave the room for that so the nurses that were getting off duty could brief the nurses coming on. Even though my daughter was in ICU I still had to leave. I was not happy and let the nurse know it. I remember VERY assertively telling the nurse what she was and wasn't allowed to do to and for my daughter when I was out of the room. Who woulda thunk that little ol' me would have told an educated nurse what she would and wouldn't do. Guess what, I was the momma and I had the final say! I think that was the beginning of the end for my insecurities ruling my life. I haven't stopped fighting for those (usually my children but also others) who are unable to fight for themselves. I come alive when I can help other people become more successful or help them through the unknown or a hardship that they are facing, I believe that is why I was put in this earth.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the compliment. I was surprised to see my name in your post! I'm looking forward to your series.

    You didn't go to college? Did you go later? I thought I saw a Husky/Cougar plaque next to your front door....

    In college, we referred to many of our classmates as "educated idiots" because, well, they were. College doesn't make you smarter, per se. It can only hone in and refine what was already there. The research you do outside of a classroom will stay with you a lot longer than a meaningless assignment.

    You're doing a great job with your family. We're actually going to go wheat-free for a couple of weeks to see if that is what is causing some of our ails...well just for one boy in particular. Have you tried very many bread recipes? What's your favorite? And I still want you to cut/paste that banana muffin/cupcake recipe for me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't go to collage, I was pg at 18 and then had to work to provide for her. At one point I almost went back to school but didn't. I hated school struggled a lot can't imagine going back. I love to learn though, research as much as I have hated it is my new friend and I love learning, just not assigned learning! I posted the recipe the same day you asked for it but I will tag you in it.

    Keep in mind it takes gluten 6 weeks to fully leave your body so don't expect overnight results. I get itchy bumpy rashes when I am detoxing from gluten, they aren't contagious but the suck, keep a look out for that, it would be a sign that he doesn't do well with gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. College, not collage! Told you I wasn't very edumacated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you post it? Here? Or on FB? You should add a recipe page to your blog. Do you know how to add pages? It shows up as a tab at the top of your blog just like a website.

    ReplyDelete