Saturday, April 16, 2011

Natural Food Dye FUN!

I didn't want the holidays to come and go just with plain old white cookies, candies and treats. I love to make things with my girls and Christmas cookies are a tradition. I found www.indiatree.com and fell in love. My head started spinning with things we could make colorful but also safe for my kids. Here are our Christmas cookies with colored frosting and sprinkles!

We also made suckers with colors galore! We barely ate any of them, but we had fun making them and coloring them.

I bought some "sugar in the raw" because the granules are bigger and we made our own sprinkles for our cookies. I have since put them in Ziploc bags and we decorate cupcakes, cakes and even sprinkle some on our whip cream on the special occasions that we have whip cream.


I do have to say that the natural food dye is a little different than the standard food dye you are used to. It is thicker. So before when I wanted to make colored sugar I would put it in a Ziploc bag, add a few drops of dye, seal it and shake it and be done. With the natural dye you have to "massage" it a little in between shakes. It isn't hard just a different method than I used before. The colors are also more earth tones, which is to be expected. Although I don't have a picture I made my girls chocolate pudding for a dessert for valentines day and put the red natural food dye in some whip cream and they had pink whip cream on their pudding. It was the highlight of their night. We plan on making some cool things this week for Easter too!

3 comments:

  1. PCC has the India Food Color (I just got some) $14.99 for the three colors (Red, Blue, and Yellow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get the food dye at Kusler's? I see they carry the India Tree brand...although I don't know which products they have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Us- Thank you! I have yet to visit PCC but I think it is on my to do list for the week!

    Bridget-I ordered them online, I will now get them either at PCC or Kusler's, no shipping! I have to go to Kusler's sometime without the kids they have so much fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete